Monday, January 17, 2011

Wonderful Recipe!!

For Christmas I received a magnificent Good Housekeeping vegetarian cookbook from a good friend. As I looked through it for the first time I found a healthy recipe for Tomato soup with black rice. I didn't have enough time to search for black rice the first time I made the soup so I was hoping to find some wild rice. Sadly the grocery store was out of wild rice because of all the ice in Atlanta so I went with a long grain white rice. The soup starts out with carrots, onion and celery with a bit of butter. Then the spices, thyme, a bay leaf and garlic are added. Vegetable stock and canned tomatoes are the saucy part of the soup. It is blended until smooth and the cooked rice is added at the end. It looks like it could come from a fancy restaurant and tastes just as good. I hope to make it to the Asian grocery store to see if they might carry black rice for the next time I make this soup. I might try using different spices to make it Mexican or Indian flavored as well. I wish I had taken some pictures but I will try to get some the next time I make it.

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment